Timeline of Gainesville, Florida facts for kids
Prior to 20th century
|History of Florida|
The seal of Florida reflects the state's Native American ancestry
|U.S. Territorial Period||1822–1845|
|American Revolutionary War||1775–1783|
|War of 1812||1811–1814|
|First Seminole War||1817–1818|
|Capitol moved to
|Second Seminole War||1835–1842|
|Third Seminole War||1855–1858|
|Ordinance of Secession||1861|
|Gore v. Harris
2000 Presidential Election
- 1830 - Hog Town established.
- 1853 - Hog Town renamed "Gainesville" after U.S. military officer Edmund P. Gaines.
- 1854 - Seat of Alachua County relocated to Gainesville from Newnansville.
- 1856 - School built.
- 1858 - Gainesville Academy founded.
- 1859 - Florida Railroad begins operating.
- 1860 - Population: 269.
- February 14–15: "Gainesville occupied by Union forces and skirmish fought."
- August 17: Battle of Gainesville fought; Confederates win.
- 1865 - New Era newspaper begins publication.
- 1866 - Union Academy opens.
- 1867 - East Florida Seminary relocated to Gainesville from Ocala.
- 1869 - Town of Gainesville incorporated.
- City of Alachua established in vicinity of Gainesville.
- 1886 - Fire.
- Daily Sun newspaper in publication.
- Population: 2,790.
- 1891 - "Public water system" begins operating.
- Gainesville High School building constructed.
- Population: 3,633.
- 1901 - William Reuben Thomas becomes mayor.
- 1906 - University of the State of Florida relocated to Gainesville from Lake City.
- 1907 - Gainesville becomes a city.
- Thomas residence built.
- Population: 6,183.
- 1912 - University's Florida Alligator newspaper begins publication.
- 1917 - Florida State Museum established.
- 1918 - Gordon Tison becomes mayor.
- 1925 - "Tung oil production begins."
- 1928 - Hotel Thomas in business.
- 1930 - Population: 10,465.
- 1935 - Airport built.
- 1940 - Population: 13,757.
- Gainesville Drive-In cinema in business.
- Population: 26,861.
- 1958 - WUFT (TV) begins broadcasting.
- 1960 - Population: 29,701.
- Santa Fe Community College established.
- White Theatre (cinema) in business.
- 1967 - Alachua County Historical Society founded.
- 1970 - Population: 64,510.
- 1972 - Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo and Historic Gainesville Inc. established.
- 1974 - Thomas Center established.
- 1975 - Alachua County Courthouse built.
- 1980 - Population: 81,371.
- 1981 - WUFT-FM radio begins broadcasting.
- 1988 - Florida Museum of Natural History active.
- 1989 - Matheson Historical Center established.
- 1993 - Corrine Brown becomes U.S. representative for Florida's 3rd congressional district; Karen Thurman becomes U.S. representative for Florida's 5th congressional district.
- 1994 - Matheson Museum opens.
- 2000 - Population: 95,447.
- 2004 - Pegeen Hanrahan becomes mayor.
- Craig Lowe becomes mayor.
- Population: 124,354.
- 2013 - Ed Braddy becomes mayor.
- 2016 - Lauren Poe becomes mayor.
Timeline of Gainesville, Florida Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.