1717 facts for kids
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1680s 1690s 1700s – 1710s – 1720s 1730s 1740s|
|Years:||1714 1715 1716 – 1717 – 1718 1719 1720|
- January 4 — The Netherlands, Britain & France sign the Triple Alliance.
- February 26-March 6 What is now the northeastern United States was paralyzed by a series of blizzards that buried the region.
- March 2 — Dancer John Weaver performs in the first ballet in Britain shown in Drury Lane The Loves of Mars and Venus.
- March 31 – Bishop Benjamin Hoadly, acting on the advice of King George begins the Bangorian Controversy by saying that God favors churches with no government.
- June 24 — The Premier Grand Lodge of England (UGLE), a branch of Freemasonry, is started in London.
- September: The first known Druid revival ceremony is held by John Toland at Primrose Hill, in London, at the Autumnal Equinox, to found the Mother Grove, what is later to become the Ancient Order of Druids (AOD).
- December 24/25 A disastrous storm flood hits the North Sea coast between the Netherlands and Denmark. Thousands die or lose their houses.
- Voltaire is sentenced to Bastille for a year because of his satirical writings.
- Spain unites its South American colonies as New Grenada.
- Montevideo, Uruguay, founded by Portuguese.
- A rift between George I of Great Britain and his son the Prince of Wales leads to the latter being thrown out of the royal household.
Images for kids
1717 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.