Drammen facts for kids
Drammen was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The rural municipality of Skoger was merged with Drammen January 1, 1964. (And then transferred from the county of Vestfold to the county of Buskerud.)
Drammen is one of the larger cities in Norway, and is about 47 km from the capital of Norway, Oslo. The city centre is at the end of a valley, on both sides of the river Drammenselva, and where the river meets the Drammensfjord. Drammen is also the main city for car and fruit import in Norway.
- Martinus Rørbye, painter (1803–1848)
- Marcus Thrane, labour movement leader (1817–1890)
- Hans Peter Faye, sugar plantation pioneer (1859–1928)
- Johan Halvorsen, composer, conductor and musician (1864–1935)
- Betzy Kjelsberg, politician and feminist (1866–1950)
- Geirr Tveitt, composer and pianist (1908–1981)
- Charles Mathiesen, speed skater (1911–1994)
- Hans-Jørgen Holman, musicologist and educationalist (1925–1986)
- Sverre Holm, actor (1931–2005)
- Sten Stensen, speed skater (1947–)
- Ole Hermann Borgan, referee (1964–)
- Johann Olav Koss, speed skater (1968–)
- Kim Christiansen, snowboarder (1976–)
- SBK Drafn 21 Norwegian Championships in bandy.
- Drammen golfklubb. Founded 1989.
- IF Hellas
- SBK Skiold
- Strømsgodset IF. Founded February 10th 1907. Four Norwegian championships in football (1969, 1970, 1973, 1993). Winner of the Norwegian football league 1970. 6 Norwegian championships in bandy.
- IF Sturla
- Drammen HK Handball club in Men's European Champions League (07/08)
Images for kids
Drammen Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.