Las Piedras, Puerto Rico facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Las Piedras, Puerto Rico
"Ciudad Artesanal", "Los Artesanos"
|Anthem: "Somos de la Ribera"|
Location of Las Piedras in Puerto Rico
|• Total||33.2 sq mi (86.0 km2)|
|• Land||33 sq mi (86 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||1,164.7/sq mi (449.71/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (AST)|
Las Piedras ( The Stones) is a municipality in east Puerto Rico located in the center region of the island, north of Yabucoa; south of Canóvanas and Río Grande; east of Juncos and San Lorenzo; and west of Naguabo and Humacao. Las Piedras is spread over 7 wards and Las Piedras Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Las Piedras, being a colorful town, has many natural attractions such as "La Cueva del Indio" which is a place that has original Indian playgrounds, caves and paintings that denote some characteristics of the ancient island's natives. Las Piedras is located about 45 minutes from San Juan, Puerto Rico's capital and 5 minutes from Palmas del Mar, Humacao which is one of the biggest resorts in the Caribbean.
Las Piedras was founded in 1801.
- Quebrada Arenas
- El Rio
Landmarks and places of interest
- La Cueva del Indio (Indian Cavern)
- Monte del Retiro (Settlement)
- Artesanial Walk
- Francisco Negrón Park
- Las Piedras Historic Museum
- Panoramic Route 917
Festivals and events
- Güiro Festival - March
- Typical (Folk) Cultural Festival - April
- Festivities of the Cross- May
- Youth Festivities - July
- Typical (Folk) Festival - September
- Pork Festival - November
- Patron Saints Festivities - December
The flag of Las Piedras has three horizontal stripes of equal width, the stripe at the top is colored white, the center stripe is colored green and the bottom stripe is colored blue. In the middle of the flag rests an image of the Taíno sun in yellow.
Coat of Arms
In a silver field resides a blue monogram of the Holy Virgin, topped by a blue crown. Seven silver stones border the silver field and at the tip of the shield resides the Taíno sun in gold denominated as the "Sun of Las Piedras".
- Angel López - Singer from the acclaimed and famous worldwide group, Son By Four.
- Luis “El Artesano" Cruz - Professional Boxer.
- Yariel Morales Rivera - Mr. Puerto Rico 2015. Professional model and the only Mr. Puerto Rico (in history) from Las Piedras.
- Margaro Rivera Guzmán-Scholar, attorney and prominent businessman
- Modesto Castro Dávila - Las Piedras Mayor (1980-1984).
- Rafi Jimenez - Broadcaster
- Juan Velázquez- Farmer and political activist
- Elwood Cruz - Reporter
- Juan Manuel Lebron - Comedian
- Sotero Gómez Hernández- Puerto Rico House Representative
- Silvia Ricardo - Judge
- Carmen Benítez - Notable teacher
- Celia Mondríguez: elderly people rights advocacy
- Modesto Velázquez Flores - Prosecutor
- José R. Camacho - Broadcaster.
- Eugenio López - Rancher, Boxer.
- Zenón Hernández - Writer, poet.
- Francisco Negrón Díaz - Sport and businessman.
- Miguel Loíz - Teacher, Senator for Humacao district Puerto Rico.
- Miguel Hernández Agosto - Puerto Rico Senate President (1988-1992).
- Víctor Santana Pérez - Teacher, historian, writer and planner of Monte del Retiro.
- Tomas Diaz - Clay Artisan.
- Cano Diaz - Creator of the now famous "Stringed Hammocs".
- Wilfredo Ramos Vázquez-Attorney, philosopher, poverty rights advocacy, public defender, Artificial Intelligence researcher
- Juan Rosa Martínez: first elected mayor of Las Piedras, businessman and sindicalist
- Nicky Cruz-evangelist, reformed gang leader, author of bestselling book, "Run Baby Run". David Wilkerson based his best selling book "The Cross and the Switchblade" in part in Nicky's life
Las Piedras, Puerto Rico Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.