|Centuries:||1st century – 2nd century – 3rd century|
|Decades:||170s 180s 190s – 200s – 210s 220s 230s|
|Years:||197 198 199 – 200 – 201 202 203|
- Human population reaches about 257 million.
- Emperor Septimius Severus visits Syria, Palestine and Arabia.
- Palestine, benefiting from the kind policies of Severus, sees a big economic return.
- The province of Numidia is taken from the African proconsul and made an Imperial province.
- Chinese warlord Cao Cao defeats Yuan Shao in the Battle of Guandu.
- In Japan, Himiko, whose capital is in Yamatai, extends her authority over a number of clans.
- Empress Jingu sends a Japanese fleet to invade Korea. The Koreans surrender at the sight of the huge multi-oared ships and offer tribute.
- The Classic Age of Maya civilization begins (around this year).
- The Paracas culture in the Andes comes to an end (around this year).
- Septimius Severus, Julia Domna and their children, Publius Septimius Geta and Caracalla, from Fayum, Egypt, is made. It is now kept at Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Antikensammlung.
- Jewish Eretz Yisraeli scholar Judah ha-Nasi puts together tracts of the Mishnah. This begins the making of Talmudic law.
- Clement of Alexandria says to not use musical instruments to support human voices in Christian music.
- Brahmanism changes into Hinduism (approximate date).
- Fei Yi, an official of Shu (approximate date) (d. 253)
- Ma Jun (d. 265)
- Wang Ling, general of Wei (d. 250)
- Sun Shao, general of Wu (d. 242)
- Zhou Fang, general of Wu (d. 240)
- Diophantus, Greek mathematician
- Marcus Claudius Tacitus, Roman Emperor (d. 276)
- Valerian I, Roman Emperor
- Chunyu Qiong (executed by Yuan Shao)
- Dong Cheng (executed by Cao Cao)
- Gan Ji, Taoist priest
- Han Juzi, general under Yuan Shao
- Ji Ping (executed by Cao Cao)
- Ju Shou (officer of Yuan Shao)
- Lü Weihuang
- Mi Heng, renowned scholar and friend of Kong Rong (executed by Huang Zu) (b. 173)
- Sui Yuanjin
- Sun Ce, 25, elder brother of the founder of Wu Kingdom, Sun Quan (b. 175)
- Tian Feng (executed by Yuan Shao)
- Wen Chou, general under Yuan Shao
- Xu Gong
- Yan Liang, general under Yuan Shao
- Zheng Xuan (b. 127)
200 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.