Barbadian cuisine facts for kids
Barbadian cuisine, also called Bajan cuisine, is a mixture of African, Portuguese, Indian, Irish, Creole and British background. A typical meal consists of a main dish of meat or fish, normally marinated with a mixture of herbs and spices, hot side dishes, and one or more salads. The meal is usually served with one or more sauces.
The national dish of Barbados is cou-cou and fried flying fish with spicy gravy. Another traditional meal is pudding and souse, a dish of pickled pork with spiced sweet potatoes. A wide variety of seafood and meats are also available.
- Fried flying fish
- Fried or grilled fish such as kingfish, swordfish, mahi mahi, and "dolphin" (dolphinfish). A whole roast red snapper is a delicacy.
- Brown stew chicken
- Cou Cou and steamed flying fish
- Barbecued or stewed lamb or pork chops
- Curry beef or mutton
- Barbaque pigtails
- Rotisserie chicken/pan chicken
- Baked or fried chicken
- Grilled or fried prawns
- Grilled turkey wings
- Saltfish in a spicy tomato sauce
- Sweet potato pie
- Rice and peas – rice with split pea and gravy.
- Macaroni pie
- Sweet Potato, grilled, mashed or as fries
- English Potato grilled, mashed or as fries
- Fried Plantain
- Breadfruit grilled or fried
- Chow Mein
- Steamed mixed vegetables, such as broccoli, pumpkin, cabbage, and onion
- Buttered cassava or yam
- Cassava pone, a kind of savoury cassava cake
- Cutters- fried flying fish in a bap
- Pumpkin soup
- Samosas often made with conch
- Wrap roti, usually with beef, chicken or saltfish with potatoes, spices, and sometimes chickpeas
- Rum and rum punch
- Banks beer
- Sorrel drink
- Fruit juice
- Tamarind drink
- Sour sop drink
- Golden Apple drink
- Sorrel drink
Foreign food in Barbados
American staples such as pizza, hot dogs and burgers are fairly common, as are British fish and chips. Chinese, Indian, and Thai dishes are available in the main towns. A few Mexican and Brazilian restaurants are available on the South Coast. There are upmarket sushi restaurants in or near large resorts.
Barbadian cuisine Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.