Heisei period facts for kids
Heisei period (平成時代 Heisei jidai), also known as the Heisei era, is a Japanese era (年号, nengō,, lit. "year name") after Shōwa. This period started in February 1989 and it continues in the present day. During this time, the emperor is Akihito (明仁), also known as the "current emperor" or the "reigning emperor" (今上天皇 kinjō tennō).
The nengō Heisei means "Achieving Peace" or "Peace and Accomplishment"
Events of the Heisei period
The years in which Akihito has been the Japanese monarch comprise this period or era.
- 1990 (Heisei 2): Expo 1990 in Hyōgo Prefecture
- 1992 (Heisei 4): Emperor Akihito traveled to China, the first time a Japanese monarch to visit.
- 1993 (Heisei 5): 19th G7 summit in Tokyo
- 1998 (Heisei 10): 1998 Winter Olympics
- 2000 (Heisei 12): 26th G8 summit in Okinawa
- 2008 (Heisei 20): 34th G8 summit in Hokkaido
- January 17, 1995 (Heisei 7, 17th day of the 1st month): Kobe Earthquake.
- 11 March 2011 (Heisei 23, 11th day of the 3rd month): A magnitude 9.0 earthquake caused a great tsunami, known as the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami
- 15 March 2011 (Heisei 23, 15th day of the 3rd month): Emperor Akihito made his first national television address. He said, "I hope from the bottom of my heart that the people will, hand in hand, treat each other with compassion and overcome these difficult times."
- 1989 (Heisei 1): Emperor Shōwa died; and Noboru Takeshita was the Prime Minister during the time of transition.
- 1989 (Heisei 1): Sosuke Uno became 75th Prime Minister
- 1989 (Heisei 1): Toshiki Kaifu became 76th Prime Minister
- 1990 (Heisei 2): Kaifu became 77th Prime Minister
- 1991 (Heisei 3): Kiichi Miyazawa became 78th Prime Minister
- 1993 (Heisei 5): Morihiro Hosokawa became 79th Prime Minister
- 1994 (Heisei 6): Tsutomu Hata became 80th Prime Minister
- 1994 (Heisei 6): Tomiichi Murayama became 81st Prime Minister
- 1996 (Heisei 8): Ryutaro Hashimoto became 82nd Prime Minister
- 1996 (Heisei 8): Hashimoto became 83rd Prime Minister
- 1998 (Heisei 10): Keizo Obuchi became 84th Prime Minister
- 2000 (Heisei 12): Yoshiro Mori became 85th Prime Minister
- 2000 (Heisei 12): Mori became 86th Prime Minister
- 2001 (Heisei 13): Junichiro Koizumi became 87th Prime Minister
- 2003 (Heisei 15): Koizumi became 88th Prime Minister
- 2005 (Heisei 17): Koizumi became 89th Prime Minister
- 2006 (Heisei 18): Shinzo Abe became 90th Prime Minister
- 2007 (Heisei 19): Yasuo Fukuda became 91st Prime Minister
- 2008 (Heisei 20): Taro Aso became 92nd Prime Minister
- 2009 (Heisei 21): Yukio Hatoyama became 93rd Prime Minister
- 2010 (Heisei 22): Naoto Kan became 94th Prime Minister
- 2011 (Heisei 23): Yoshihiko Noda became 95th Prime Minister
- 2012 (Heisei 24): Shinzo Abe became 96th Prime Minister
Special coin minted for the 1998 Winter Olympics
Images for kids
Heisei period Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.