34th G8 summit facts for kids
The 34th G8 summit was a meeting in 2008 for the leaders of Canada, the European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
This meeting of the Group of Eight (G8) was the 34th meeting in a series which began in 1976. The G8 and the summit are part of a "consultative process and not an international organization".
|Core G8 members
Host nation and leader are indicated in bold text.
|Canada||Stephen Harper||Prime Minister|
|Italy||Silvio Berlusconi||Prime Minister|
|Japan||Yasuo Fukuda||Prime Minister|
|United Kingdom||Gordon Brown||Prime Minister|
|United States||George W. Bush||President|
|European Commission||Jose Manuel Barroso||President|
A small others were invited to join some of the discussions.
The G8 plus the five other nations were known as G8+5.
- Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, President.
- China Hu Jintao, President.
- India Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister.
- Mexico Felipe Calderón, President.
- South Africa Thabo Mbeki, President.
- Algeria Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President.
- Australia Kevin Rudd, Prime Minister.
- Ethiopia Meles Zenawi, Prime Minister.
- Ghana John Agyekum Kufuor, President.
- Indonesia Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President.
- Nigeria Umaru Yar'Adua, President.
- Senegal Abdoulaye Wade, President.
- South Korea Lee Myung-bak, President.
- Tanzania Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete, President.
Heads of international organizations
Leaders of some organizations were invited to be part of some of the discussions.
- African Union Jean Ping, AU Commission Chairman Jakaya Kikwete, AU Chairman.
- Commonwealth of Independent States Sergei Lebedev, Executive Secretary
- International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General
- International Energy Agency Nobuo Tanaka, Executive Director
- United Nations Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General.
- UNESCO Koichiro Matsuura, Director General
- World Bank Robert Zoellick, President.
- World Health Organization Margaret Chan, Director-General
- World Trade Organization Pascal Lamy, Director-General
34th G8 summit Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.