The Jungle Book 2 facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsThe Jungle Book 2
|Directed by||Steve Trenbirth|
|Produced by||Christopher Chase
|Written by||Karl Geurs
Roger S.H. Schulman
Haley Joel Osment
|Music by||Mark Watters
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman
|Editing by||Christopher K. Gee
|Studio||Walt Disney Pictures|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Pictures
Icon Film Distribution/Igor Entertainment/Beacon Pictures (Australia)
|Release date(s)||February 14, 2003 Australia February 23, 2003 United States|
|Running time||72 minutes|
The Jungle Book 2 is a 2003 animated movie produced by DisneyToon Studios in Sydney, Australia. It was released by Walt Disney Pictures and Buena Vista Distribution. It was released in France on February 5, 2003, and released in the United States on February 14, 2003. It is the sequel to Walt Disney's 1967 movie The Jungle Book. Haley Joel Osment did the voice of Mowgli, and John Goodman did the voice of Baloo. The movie was going to be a direct-to-video movie, but it was released in theaters first. The movie is not based on The Second Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (published in 1895). However, they do have some of the same characters. When released, the movie was criticised mainly for its bad animation and a story similar to the original movie. Disney released the VHS and DVD versions on June 10, 2003. On June 17, 2008 a Special Edition DVD was released.
Mowgli feels unwelcome and out of place in the human village where he now lives. When Baloo arrives for a visit, Mowgli leaves with him to go back to the jungle. However, his friend Shanti thinks he was kidnapped. She follows him into the jungle. Shere Khan is still hunting for Mowgli, which puts him, as well as Shanti and Baloo, in danger. Mowgli must decide whether he wants to live in the jungle with Baloo, or stay in the village with Shanti.
- John Goodman recorded his voice work in New Orleans while Haley Joel Osment recorded his in California.
- Due to , the character of King Louie from the original Jungle Book could not be included in this movie. However, he is briefly mentioned in the middle of the movie.
- The decision was made to keep Shere Khan in shadow during the beginning of the movie to "reflect his 'wounded pride'".
Returning from the first movie
- Mowgli, voiced by Haley Joel Osment
- Baloo, voiced by John Goodman
- Bagheera, voiced by Bob Joles
- Shanti, voiced by Mae Whitman
- Shere Khan, voiced by Tony Jay
- Kaa, voiced by Jim Cummings
- Colonel Hathi, voiced by Jim Cummings
- Hathi, Jr., voice unknown
- Buzzie, Flaps, Dizzie, & Ziggy, voiced by Jim Cummings, Jeff Bennett, Baron Davis, and Jess Harnell
- Flunkey, voiced by Jim Cummings
New in this movie
- Lucky, voiced by Phil Collins
- Ranjan, voiced by Connor Funk
- Ranjan's Father, voiced by John Rhys-Davies
- Messua, voice unknown
- Human (Mowgli, Shanti, Ranjan, Ranjan's Father, Messua, Nathoo & Other Villagers)
- Sloth Bear (Baloo)
- Black Panther (Bagheera)
- Tiger (Shere Khan)
- Indian Python (Kaa)
- Asian Elephant (Colonel Hathi, Hathi Jr. & Elephant Patrol; Some seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Indian Vulture (Buzzie, Flaps, Dizzie, Ziggy & Lucky)
- Baboon (Flunkey)
- Indian Rhinoceros (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Parakeet (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Hippopotamus (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Indian Mongoose (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Ocelot (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Water rat (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Insect (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Earthworm (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Crane (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Cuckoo (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Kookaburra (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Gazelle (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Langur (The Bandar-log)
- Owl (Seen by Shanti in the jungle)
- Vampire Bat (Seen attacking Shanti)
- Macaque (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Meerkat (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- Warthog (Seen in King Louie's former palace)
- During one of attempts at the classic musical number "The Bear Necessities" from the first movie, two prickly pears land on and stick to Kaa's head, making him look like Mickey Mouse. This is an example of a Hidden Mickey.
- During W-I-L-D, Pumbaa can briefly be seen dancing until Baloo bounces them off with his backside.
- This is the second Disney sequel to take place right after the ending of the first movie since The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, which took place right after the ending of the original.
- Kaa is the second character to originally be played by Sterling Holloway and then taken over by Jim Cummings, the first being Winnie-the-Pooh.
The Jungle Book 2 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.