2003 facts for kids
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s – 2000s – 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2000 2001 2002 – 2003 – 2004 2005 2006|
2003 (MMIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar.
- January 1 – Pascal Couchepin becomes President of the Confederation in Switzerland.
- February 1 – Space Shuttle Columbia was destroyed during re-entry. All seven astronauts on board died.
- February 4 the Hindu minority of Bnagladesh declare the sovereign state of Bangabhumi, recognised by UNPO.
- July 10 – Wikibooks, a project of the Wikimedia Foundation, was created.
- October 30 – Wicked has its first show at the Gershwin Theatre in Broadway.
Nobel prize winners
- Chemistry – Peter Agre
- Chemistry – Roderick MacKinnon
- Economics – Robert F. Engle III
- Economics – Clive W.J. Granger
- Literature – J. M. Coetzee
- Medicine – Paul C. Lauterbur
- Medicine – Sir Peter Mansfield
- Peace – Shirin Ebadi
- Physics – Alexei A. Abrikosov
- Physics – Vitaly L. Ginzburg
- Physics – Anthony J. Leggett
- January 12 – Maurice Gibb, British musician (Bee Gees) (b. 1949)
- January 17 - Richard Crenna, American actor (b. 1926)
- January 20 – Al Hirschfeld, American cartoonist (b. 1903)
- February 1 – Crew of Space Shuttle Columbia: Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, Ilan Ramon, Kalpana Chawla, David M. Brown, Laurel Clark
- February 27 – Fred Rogers, American children's television host (b. 1928)
- June 12 – Gregory Peck, American actor (b. 1916)
- June 26 – Strom Thurmond, U.S. Senator (b. 1902)
- June 29 – Katharine Hepburn, American actress (b. 1907)
- July 25 – John Schlesinger, English movie director (b. 1926)
- August 16 – Idi Amin, Ugandan dictator
- September 12 – Johnny Cash, American singer and guitarist (b. 1932)
- September 23 – Shawn Lane, American musician
- Brother Bear
- Cheaper by the Dozen
- The Cunning Little Vixen, animated version of Leoš Janáček's opera by BBC – (movie only mentioned in article)
- Finding Nemo – Academy Award for Best Animated Feature
- Kill Bill Vol. 1
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, directed by Peter Jackson – Academy, Golden Globe and BAFTA Awards for Best Picture
- Monster, starring Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- American Life – Madonna
- Toxic – Britney Spears
- Milkshake - Kelis
- In da Club – 50 Cent
- Damaged – TLC
- Dangerously in Love, Part II – Beyoncé
- Low – Kelly Clarkson
- Someday – Nickelback
- Numb – Linkin Park
- Travelin' Soldier – Dixie Chicks
- Forever and for Always – Shania Twain
Images for kids
The crew of STS-107
- In Spanish: 2003
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:2003 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.