100 Greatest Britons facts for kids
100 Greatest Britons was a BBC programme broadcast in 2002. The list was the result of a poll. The top ten people on the list were:
- Sir Winston Churchill, (1874–1965), Prime Minister during the Second World War, politician, soldier, author, speaker, artist
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1806–1859), engineer, creator of Great Western Railway and other significant works
- Diana, Princess of Wales (1961–1997), first wife of HRH Charles, Prince of Wales (1981–1996) and mother of Princes William and Harry of Wales
- Charles Darwin (1809-1882), naturalist, originator of the theory of evolution through natural selection and author of The Origin of Species
- William Shakespeare (1564–1616), English poet and playwright, thought of by many as the greatest of all writers in the English language
- Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, and alchemist, regarded by many as the greatest figure in the history of science
- Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533–1603), monarch, (reigned 1558–1603)
- John Lennon (1940–1980), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, peace activist, artist
- Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval commander
- Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), Lord Protector
The complete list can be found on the BBC website.
100 Greatest Britons Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.