Chesterfield County, South Carolina facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location within the U.S. state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location within the U.S.
|• Total||806 sq mi (2,090 km2)|
|• Land||799 sq mi (2,070 km2)|
|• Water||6.7 sq mi (17 km2) 0.8%|
| • Estimate
|• Density||57.98/sq mi (22.387/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
Chesterfield County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, its population was 46,734, and its estimated 2018 population had declined a little to 45,754. Its county seat is Chesterfield. The largest town in the county is Cheraw. Chesterfield County is part of the Charlotte Metropolitan Area. It is located north of the Midlands, on its border with North Carolina.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 806 square miles (2,090 km2), of which 799 square miles (2,070 km2) is land and 6.7 square miles (17 km2) (0.8%) is water.
- Anson County, North Carolina - north
- Richmond County, North Carolina - northeast
- Marlboro County - east
- Darlington County - southeast
- Kershaw County - southwest
- Lancaster County - west
- Union County, North Carolina - northwest
National protected area
- US 1
- US 52
- US 601
- SC 9
- SC 20
- SC 32
- SC 80
- SC 102
- SC 109
- SC 145
- SC 151
- SC 207
- SC 265
- SC 268
- SC 903
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 46,734 people, 18,173 households, and 12,494 families living in the county. The population density was 58.5 inhabitants per square mile (22.6/km2). There were 21,482 housing units at an average density of 26.9 per square mile (10.4/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 62.8% white, 32.6% black or African American, 0.5% American Indian, 0.4% Asian, 2.0% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. Those of Hispanic or Latino origin made up 3.6% of the population. In terms of ancestry, 16.3% were American, 6.8% were English, 6.0% were German, and 5.9% were Irish.
Of the 18,173 households, 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.6% were married couples living together, 18.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 31.2% were non-families, and 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.05. The median age was 39.3 years.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,979 and the median income for a family was $41,225. Males had a median income of $35,965 versus $26,881 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,162. About 17.6% of families and 22.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 33.6% of those under age 18 and 18.0% of those age 65 or over.
Chesterfield County features many different types of recreation. Although each town varies in its offerings, facilities such as baseball and softball fields, walking tracks, parks, and other outdoor areas are common throughout the area. Golf is extremely popular and many local courses are frequented by visitors from throughout the region. There is a lot of hunting and fishing in the swamps of the Black Creek and Lake Robinson.
Chesterfield County supports several fine arts organizations ranging from High School Marching Bands to community theatres to municipal arts commissions.
- The Central High Sound of Central
- The Cheraw Tribe Marching Band
- The Chesterfield Marching Pride
- The Spirit of McBee High Marching Band
- The Cheraw Arts Commission
- The Chesterfield Arts Commission
The county's youth are provided with an education through the Chesterfield County School District. The South Point Christian School is a private school located in Pageland and offers Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Northeastern Technical College has branches in Pageland and Cheraw.
- Central High School, Pageland
- Cheraw High School, Cheraw
- Chesterfield High School, Chesterfield
- McBee High School, McBee
- Chesterfield/Ruby Middle School, Chesterfield/Ruby
- Long Middle School, Cheraw
- New Heights Middle School, Jefferson
- Cheraw Intermediate School, Cheraw
- Edwards Elementary School, Chesterfield
- Jefferson Elementary School, Jefferson
- McBee Elementary School, McBee
- Pageland Elementary School, Pageland
- Plainview Elementary School, Plainview
- Ruby Elementary School, Ruby
- Cheraw Primary School, Cheraw
- Petersburg Primary School, Pageland
Chesterfield County, South Carolina Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.