1870s facts for kids
|Centuries:||18th century – 19th century – 20th century|
|Decades:||1840s 1850s 1860s – 1870s – 1880s 1890s 1900s|
|Years:||1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture
Establishments – Disestablishments
- The invention of the telephone (1876) by Alexander Graham Bell.
- The light bulb was invented.
- The phonograph is invented in 1877 by Thomas Edison.
- Ludwig Boltzmann's statistical definition of thermodynamic entropy
- Franco-Prussian War (1870–1871) results in the collapse of the Second French Empire and in the formation of both the French Third Republic and the German Empire
- Continuing expansion of the British Empire; beginning of the New Imperialism
- Bulgaria and Romania declare independence following the Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878)
- In the United States, continuation of post-Civil War reconstruction until its conclusion under President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1877
- Emperor Franz Josef (Austria-Hungary)
- Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald (Canada)
- Prime Minister Alexander Mackenzie (Canada)
- Tongzhi Emperor (China)
- Guangxu Emperor (China)
- Emperor Wilhelm I (German Empire)
- Chancellor Otto von Bismarck (German Empire)
- King Victor Emmanuel II (Italy)
- King Umberto I (Italy)
- Emperor Meiji (Japan)
- Pope Pius IX
- Pope Leo XIII
- Emperor Alexander II (Russia)
- King Alfonso XII (Spain)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (United Kingdom)
- President Ulysses S. Grant (United States)
- President Rutherford B. Hayes (United States)
- Nasser-al-Din Shah of Qajar dynasty (Persia)
Images for kids
From left to right, clockwise: Conflict erupts between the Second French Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia leading to the Franco-Prussian War in 1870; a fire in Chicago kills approximately 300 people and leaves about another 100,000 people homeless in 1871; Claude Monet's Impression, Sunrise is recognized as the source of inspiration for the Impressionist movement; The U.S. Army is defeated by Arapaho, Lakota and Northern Cheyenne tribes during the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876; Nicolaus Otto patents the first commercial four-stroke internal combustion engine; Queen Victoria is recognized as the “Empress of India” in the Royal Titles Act 1876; Emirate of Afghanistan forces defend against British Raj invaders in the Second Anglo-Afghan War; British Empire and Zulu Kingdom fighters engage in combat during the Anglo-Zulu War.
1870s Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.