Cache County, Utah facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Cache County Courthouse, July 2009
Location within the U.S. state of Utah
Utah's location within the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1856 (created)
April 4, 1857 (organized)
|Named for||Fur trade|
|• Total||1,173 sq mi (3,040 km2)|
|• Land||1,165 sq mi (3,020 km2)|
|• Water||8.2 sq mi (21 km2) 0.7%|
|• Density||113.52/sq mi (43.829/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−7 (Mountain)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (MDT)|
Cache County ( kash) is a county located in the Wasatch Front region of Utah. As of the 2020 United States Census the population was 133,154. Its county seat and largest city is Logan. Cache County is included in Logan metropolitan area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,173 square miles (3,040 km2), of which 1,165 square miles (3,020 km2) is land and 8.2 square miles (21 km2) (0.7%) is water.
On the western edge of the county lies the Wellsville Mountains and on the eastern edge lie the Bear River Mountains, both northern branches of the Wasatch Range. A canyon carves its way through the Wellsville Mountains. Up this canyon climb U.S. Routes 89 and 91 together. In downtown Logan the highways split, with US-91 heading north into Idaho and US-89 heading east and northeast into Logan Canyon. Taking up the land between the Wellsville and Bear River Mountains is Cache Valley, a relatively flat valley traversed by the Bear River and dotted with small farm towns in the west and the larger, more urban, and faster-growing areas in the east, along the benches of the Bear River Mountains. The county climbs to an elevation of 9,980 feet (3,040 m) at Naomi Peak in the Bear River Mountains.
- Box Elder County (west)
- Weber County (south)
- Rich County (east)
- Franklin County, Idaho (north)
- Oneida County, Idaho (northwest)
National protected areas
- Cache National Forest (part)
- Caribou National Forest (part)
|US Decennial Census
1990–2000 2010–2018 2019 2020
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 112,655 people, 34,722 households, and 26,464 families in the county. The population density was 96.7/sqmi (37.35/km2). There were 37,024 housing units at an average density of 31.78/sqmi (12.28/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 89.12% White, 0.62% Black or African American, 0.61% Native American, 1.88% Asian, 0.39% Pacific Islander, 5.48% from other races, and 1.90% from two or more races. 9.96% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 34,722 households, out of which 41.34% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.22% were married couples living together, 7.73% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.78% were non-families. 16.30% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.54% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.14 and the average family size was 3.55.
The county population contained 36.3% under the age of 20, 12.59% from 20 to 24, 26.97% from 25 to 44, 16.41% from 45 to 64, and 7.72% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25.5 years. For every 100 females there were 98.84 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.53 males.
As of 2015, the largest self reported ancestry groups in Cache County were:
- 27.9% were of English ancestry
- 12.1% were of German ancestry
- 7.3% were of Danish ancestry.
- 6.1% were of American ancestry
- 5.2% were of Swedish ancestry
- 5.0% were of Scottish ancestry
- 4.5% were of Irish ancestry
- 3.0% were of Norwegian ancestry
- 2.6% were of Welsh ancestry
- 2.1% were of Italian ancestry
- 2.0% were of Swiss ancestry
- 2.0% were of Dutch ancestry
- 1.5% were of French ancestry
- 0.7% were of Polish ancestry
As of 2016, the largest self reported ancestry groups in Cache County were:
- 28.3% were of English ancestry
- 11.6% were of German ancestry
- 7.4% were of Danish ancestry.
- 5.9% were of American ancestry
- 5.3% were of Swedish ancestry
- 5.1% were of Scottish ancestry
- 4.6% were of Irish ancestry
- 2.9% were of Norwegian ancestry
- 2.7% were of Welsh ancestry
- 2.2% were of Italian ancestry
- 2.2% were of Swiss ancestry
- 1.8% were of French ancestry
- 1.7% were of Dutch ancestry
- 0.8% were of Polish ancestry
Logan Tabernacle in downtown Logan
- Cache County School District
- Logan City School District
- Utah State University (public)
- Bridgerland Technical College (public)
Cache County, Utah Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.