1376 facts for kids
|Centuries:||13th century – 14th century – 15th century|
|Decades:||1340s 1350s 1360s – 1370s – 1380s 1390s 1400s|
|Years:||1373 1374 1375 – 1376 – 1377 1378 1379|
- March – The peace treaty between England and France is extended until April of 1377.
- April 28 – The start of Good Parliament in England, so called because its members attempted to reform the corrupt Royal Council.
- June 7 – The dying Prince Edward summons his father Edward III and brother John of Gaunt and makes them swear to uphold the claim to the throne of his son Richard.
- June 8 – Edward, the Black Prince dies, becoming the first English Prince of Wales to not rule as king.
- July 10 – The Good Parliament is dissolved. At that time, it was the longest Parliament to have sat in England.
- August 12 – With the help of the Genoese, Byzantine co-emperor Andronicus IV Palaeologus invades Constantinople and dethrones his father, John V Palaeologus, as co-emperor. John V Palaeologus is taken prisoner.
- September – John of Gaunt summons religious reformer John Wycliffe to appear before the Royal Council to defend Gaunt from bishops who have become his enemies.
- Fall – John of Gaunt, through the Royal Council, proceeds to undo the work of the Good Parliament.
- December 25 – John of Gaunt presents his nephew, Prince Richard of Bordeaux, to the feudatories of the realm and swears to uphold Richard's right to succeed Edward III.
- Khan Qamar al-din of Mongolistan unsuccessfully invades Timur’s eastern province of Farghana.
- Timur leads his army against troops of the White Horde which have arrived at Sighnaq. However, winter sets in, preventing an immediate battle.
- Dmitri Donskoi of Moscow raids Mongol ruled Volga Bulgaria (now in Russia).
- Acamapichtli is elected Tlatoani of the Aztec empire after the death of Tenoch, the first Aztec ruler.
- Catherine of Siena visits Pope Gregory XI in Avignon to attempt to persuade him to make peace with Florence and move the Papacy back to Rome.
- Olaf III becomes King of Denmark after the death of his grandfather, Valdemar IV, in 1375.
- The city of Sredets in Bulgaria is renamed Sofia after the Church of St Sophia
- Mamluk Sultan of Egypt Nasir-ad-Din Shaban II is succeeded by Alah-ad-Din Ali.
- Qutbuddin succeeds his brother, Shahabuddin, as Sultan of Kashmir.
Arts and Literature
- December 25 – Geoffrey Chaucer goes abroad on secret state business in the company of Sir John Burley.
1376 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.