1421 facts for kids
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1390s 1400s 1410s – 1420s – 1430s 1440s 1450s|
|Years:||1418 1419 1420 – 1421 – 1422 1423 1424|
Events of 1421
- March 21 – Battle of Baugé. A small French force surprises and defeats a smaller English force under Thomas, Duke of Clarence, a brother of Henry V of England, in Normandy.
- May 26 – Mehmed I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire dies and is succeeded by his son Murad II.
- November 17–19 – St. Elizabeth flood. The coastal area near Dordrecht in the Netherlands was flooded due to an extremely high tide of the North Sea. 72 villages were drowned, killing about 10,000 people.
- John III of Dampierre, Marquis of Namur, sells his estates to Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy.
- The first patent is issued by the Republic of Florence.
- In a theory proposed by Gavin Menzies, supposedly the year that Chinese explorer Hong Bao and Zhou Wen discovered the Americas, beating Columbus by about 70 years.
|Ab urbe condita||2174|
|Balinese saka calendar||1342–1343|
|English Regnal year||8 Hen. 5 – 9 Hen. 5|
|Chinese calendar||庚子年 (Metal Rat)
4117 or 4057
— to —
辛丑年 (Metal Ox)
4118 or 4058
|- Vikram Samvat||1477–1478|
|- Shaka Samvat||1342–1343|
|- Kali Yuga||4521–4522|
|Japanese calendar||Ōei 28
|Minguo calendar||491 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1963–1964|
1547 or 1166 or 394
— to —
1548 or 1167 or 395
- July 25 – Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland, English politician (died 1461)
- December 6 – King Henry VI of England (died 1471)
- date unknown
- Sogi, Buddhist priest and Japanese poet (died 1502)
- Agnès Sorel, mistress of Charles VII of France
- Ponhea Yat, ruler of the Khmer Empire (died 1467)
- January 21 – Niccolò I Trinci, lord of Foligno (assassinated)
- March 22 – Thomas of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Clarence, second son of Henry IV of England (killed in battle) (born 1388)
- May – Balša III, ruler of Zeta
- May 26 – Mehmed I, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1389)
- date unknown – John FitzAlan, 13th Earl of Arundel (born 1385)
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:1421 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.