John von Neumann facts for kids
|John von Neumann|
John von Neumann in the 1940s
December 28, 1903|
Budapest, Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy
|Died||February 8, 1957
Washington, D.C., United States
- set theory
- functional analysis
- quantum mechanics
- ergodic theory
- continuous geometry
- game theory
- computer science
- numerical analysis
- systems theory
He was a member of a group called the 'Martians'. They were Hungarian immigrants to the US of extraordinary intellect. Others people in this group were Edward Teller, Paul Erdős, Leó Szilárd and Eugene Wigner.
- His textbook on quantum mechanics is one of the first on this topic.
- His game theory is considered one of the most important tools in competitive strategic management and is also of high importance in biosciences.
- He is the designer of the Von-Neumann architecture, which is basic to nearly all computers today.
- He was one of the first proponents of artificial intelligence. He proposed the idea of self replicating machines. This is why a machine that can replicate itself is now commonly referred to as a 'Von Neumann machine'.
- With Stanislav Ulam, he did some of the most important calculations in the Manhattan project.
- He worked at the Institute of Advanced Studies the same time as Albert Einstein, Kurt Gödel and Robert Oppenheimer
- Best selling song "Love me again".
Images for kids
John von Neumann Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.