The Iglesia ni Cristo (IPA: [iːˈglɛ.ʃɑː niː ˈkriːstəʊ]; Filipino for Church of Christ), or INC, is a church which was made in the Philippines by Felix Manalo in 1914. The INC says it was made by Jesus Christ. The church does not believe in the religious teachings of the Trinity, including the teaching that Jesus is God.
Felix Manalo joined many religious organizations as a young adult. He said that God gave him a mission to teach the gospel and to bring back the first church made by Jesus. The INC began with a handful of followers on July 27, 1914 in Punta, Santa Ana, Manila, with Manalo as highest minister. It has now spread to many different countries.
Beliefs and teachings
Some of the teachings INC believes in are:
- God is the one who made the Heavens and the Earth, and he is the only god.
- There is no Holy Trinity; God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not one.
- Jesus is the Son of God.
- The Holy Spirit is the power given to Jesus to teach and for us to help us with our problems.
- Manalo was God's last messenger.
- God chose INC members to serve him.
- INC is the same church as the Christian church in the first century.
- INC is God's true church, and the only way to be saved.
- INC believes in baptism by water.
- Members must follow the Administration and the Administration must follow the words of Christ.
- Members should live a life of good.
- Members must not eat food made with blood or marry a non-member.
- It is everyone's job to worship God by going to worship services two times a week.
- Members should treat each other like brother and sister.
- The church should act as one; this includes voting.
- The dead will come back to life and either be blessed or punished.
- Jesus will come again very soon because the signs that He is coming back (such as war, famine and earthquake) have happened.
- A holy city is being made by Jesus for INC members to live when he comes back.
Images for kids
Iglesia ni Cristo Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.