Morgan Freeman facts for kids
Morgan Freeman' (born June 1, 1937) is an American actor, producer, and narrator. Freeman won an Academy Award in 2005 for Best Supporting Actor with Million Dollar Baby (2004), and he has received Oscar nominations for his performances in Street Smart (1987), Driving Miss Daisy (1989), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), and Invictus (2009). He has also won a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
Freeman has appeared in many other box office hits, including Glory (1989), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991), Seven (1995), Deep Impact (1998), The Sum of All Fears (2002), Bruce Almighty (2003), The Dark Knight Trilogy (2005–2012), Wanted (2008), RED (2010), Now You See Me (2013), The Lego Movie (2014), and Lucy (2014). He rose to fame as part of the cast of the 1970s children's program The Electric Company. Noted for his deep voice, Freeman has served as a narrator, commentator, and voice actor for numerous programs, series and television shows. He is ranked as the fifth-highest box office star with $4.31 billion in total box office grosses, an average of $74.4 million per film.
Freeman was born in Memphis, Tennessee on June 1, 1937. He started acting when he was nine years old in a school play and at age 12 won a drama competition in his home State. Morgan worked many acting jobs until 1968 when he got his first role on Broadway in a Musical called Hello, Dolly!. He is known for his soft-spoken voice. He has donated several amounts of money to the Democratic Party. Once he stated that "Republicans scare me."
Some movies that Freeman has been in include:
- Unforgiven as Ned Logan (1992)
- The Shawshank Redemption as Red (1994)
- Se7en as Detective Lt. William Somerset (1995)
- Bruce Almighty as God (2002)
- Batman Begins as Lucius Fox (2005)
- Evan Almighty as God (2007)
- The Dark Knight as Lucius Fox (2008)
- Invictus as Nelson Mandela (2009)
- RED as Joe (2010)
- The Dark Knight Rises as Lucius Fox (2012)
- Olympus Has Fallen as Speaker of the House Allan Trumbull (2013)
- The Lego Movie as Vitruvius (2014)
- Transcendence as Joseph Tagger (2014)
- Ted 2 as Patrick Meighan (2015)
- London Has Fallen as Vice President Allan Trumbull (2016)
Images for kids
Morgan Freeman Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.