Niigata, Niigata facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|新潟市 · City of Niigata|
Location of Niigata in Niigata
|• Total||726.09 km2 (280.34 sq mi)|
(January 31, 2012)
|• Density||1,107.57/km2 (2,868.6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Address||1-602-1 Gakkōchō-dōri, Chūō-ku, Niigata-shi, Niigata-ken
Niigata (新潟市code: ja is deprecated , Niigata-shi) is the capital city of Niigata Prefecture in Japan. The port city is on the island of Sea of Japan. The city has the mouth of Shinano River which is the longest river in Japan.
Niigata has eight neighborhoods or wards (ku).
- Kita Ward (北区code: ja is deprecated , Kita-ku)
- Akiha Ward (秋葉区code: ja is deprecated , Akiha-ku)
- Higashi Ward (東区code: ja is deprecated , Higashi-ku)
- Minami Ward (南区code: ja is deprecated , Minami-ku)
- Chuo Ward (中央区code: ja is deprecated , Chūō-ku)
- Nishi Ward (西区code: ja is deprecated , Nishi-ku)
- Konan Ward (江南区code: ja is deprecated , Kōnan-ku)
- Nishikan Ward (西蒲区code: ja is deprecated , Nishikan-ku)
On April 1, 2007 Niigata City became the largest Nihonkai coast city as a government-designated city.
Images for kids
Niigata, Niigata Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.