2017 facts for kids
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2014 2015 2016 – 2017 – 2018 2019 2020|
2017 (MMXVII) is a common year starting on Sunday in the Gregorian calendar and is the current year. It is the 2017th year in the Anno Domini and Common Era designations, and the 17th year in the 3rd millennium and the 21st century.
- January 1:
- January 6 – A mass shooting occurs at the Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport in Broward County, Florida. Five people were killed while 48 were injured.
- January 7 – Mário Soares, former President and Prime Minister of Portugal who brought democracy to Portugal after a dictatorship, dies at 92 from a stroke in Lisbon.
- January 8 – Former President of Iran Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dies of a heart attack in Tehran at age 82.
- January 19 – ECOWAS forces, including troops from Senegal, Ghana, and Nigeria, intervene in the Gambia's political crisis to force longtime President Yahya Jammeh to step down after losing the December 2016 elections to Adama Barrow.
- January 20 – Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States at the United States Capitol Building at noon.
Predicted and scheduled events
- February 11 – Penumbral lunar eclipse
- February 26 – Annular solar eclipse will be visible from parts of South America and Africa.
- March 31 – The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository is scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- June- Confederations cup 2017
- July 1 – The first possible government in Hong Kong elected by Universal suffrage is scheduled to take office.
- August 7 – Partial lunar eclipse
- August 21 – From 16:50 to 20:02 UTC, the first total solar eclipse of the 21st century for the United States, and the first visible in the continental U.S. since February 26, 1979, takes place. Totality will occur along a path curving from Oregon to South Carolina, and will last at most 2 minutes 40.2 seconds. The location and time of "greatest eclipse" will be on the western edge of Christian County, Kentucky at 36.9715 degrees North and 87.6559 degrees West occurring at 18:25.4716 UTC.
- Sealed government documents surrounding John F. Kennedy's assassination to be released.
- The government of China has announced it will start sending probes to the Moon in 2017, resulting in a manned Chinese landing on the moon in a few years.
- The IOC Decides the host city for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games
- In Copenhagen (Denmark), the City Circle Line extension of the metro will open.
- South Korea states that it will attempt a space mission by this year.
- Construction of London's Crossrail project is expected to be completed, with the first passenger trains running this year.
- In France the case-documents regarding the execution of assumed World War I double spy Mata Hari will be revealed.
- In Lisbon, the new Alcochete Airport starts operations.
- Phase II of the USMC VXX Presidential helicopter program, the AgustaWestland/Bell Helicopter VH-71B Kestrel, is scheduled to enter Initial operating capability.
- Gazprom hopes that its market capitalization will reach one trillion dollars.
- The European Extremely Large Telescope is scheduled to be completed.
- O. J. Simpson may be eligible for parole from the Nevada correctional system.
- Davao City, Philippines will start its construction on Davao-Samal Bridge.
- The epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007) takes place in this year.
- Cherry 2000 (1987)
- The Running Man: The beginning events occur in 2017.
- Barb Wire (1996)
- Click (2006)
- Surrogates (2009)
- Code-E (2007)
- Code Geass The events of the first season take place in 2017.
- SB-129 The events of a 1999 Spongebob SquarePants episode take place on march 6th of this year.
2017 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.