1396 facts for kids
|Centuries:||13th century – 14th century – 15th century|
|Decades:||1360s 1370s 1380s – 1390s – 1400s 1410s 1420s|
|Years:||1393 1394 1395 – 1396 – 1397 1398 1399|
Year 1396 was a leap year starting on Saturday.
Events of 1396
- May 19 – Martin I succeeds his brother, John I, as King of Aragon (now north-east Spain).
- September 25 – Battle of Nicopolis: The Ottomans defeat a joint crusade by Hungary, France, the Holy Roman Empire, England and Wallacia, led by King Sigismund of Hungary. This was last large-scale crusade of the Middle Ages.
- November 24 – Transit of Venus – the last not to be part of a pair. Possibly observed by Aztec astronomers.
- November 29 – Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, marries Joan Beaufort
- Temporary peace is declared between England and France with the marriage of Richard II of England and Isabella of Valois, the daughter of Charles VI of France.
- France conquers the Republic of Genoa.
- After a fourteen-year period of interregnum, Peter of Saint Superan is declared as ruler of the Principality of Achaea (now southern Greece).
- In the "Battle of the Thirty", a mass trial by combat, the Clan Cameron defeat the Clan MacKintosh on the North Inch of Perth, Scotland.
- Queen Margaret of Norway, Denmark and Sweden makes her adopted son Eric of Pomerania joint ruler of Sweden. Eric had already been made joint ruler of Norway.
- Abu Amir succeeds Abdul Aziz II as ruler of the Marinid dynasty in present-day Morocco.
- Timur appoints his son Miran Shah as Timurid viceroy of Azerbaijan.
- The Kartid Dynasty is brought to an end in east Persia after its remaining rulers are murdered at a banquet by Miran Shah, son of Timur Lenk.
- Philibert de Naillac succeeds Juan Fernández de Heredia as Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller.
- The Ulu Camii mosque is built in Bursa by the Ottomans.
|Ab urbe condita||2149|
|English Regnal year||19 Ric. 2 – 20 Ric. 2|
— to —丙子年十二月初一日
|- Vikram Samvat||1452–1453|
|- Shaka Samvat||1318–1319|
|- Kali Yuga||4497–4498|
|Japanese calendar||Ōei 3
|Minguo calendar||516 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1939|
- July 31 – Philip III, Duke of Burgundy (died 1467)
- October 16 – William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk (died 1450)
- date unknown
1396 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.