Royal Canadian Mounted Police facts for kids
- RCMP is the federal police for all of Canada.
- RCMP serves as the police for the three Canadian territories
- RCMP serves eight of the ten Canadian provinces (except Ontario and Quebec).
- RCMP provides police services for more than 190 municipalities
- RCMP is the police for 184 native communities -- the First Nations, Inuit and Métis.
- RCMP ensures security at three international airports.
The RCMP/GRC wording is protected under the Canadian Trade-marks Act.
The Royal Northwest Mounted Police (RNWMP), was founded 1873. The Mounties were created to establish authority and to make accommodations with the native population in the west before settlers began to arrive.
The Mounties were given the right to use the term Royal by King Edward VII in 1904.
Today's RCMP is the result of a reoganisation in 1920.
Images for kids
Royal Canadian Mounted Police Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.