Characters of the Mario
franchise. (left to right)
: Wario, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Peach, Mario, Toad, Daisy, Bowser, Yoshi, Boo, Waluigi
This is a list of characters in the Mario series.
- Mario: Mario is the main character of the series. He is an Italian-American superhero, and was originally referred to as Jumpman in Donkey Kong. In most of the Mario spin-offs, he is the most average character, and is a good choice for starters. He is usually portrayed today with his iconic hat with an M, while also wearing a red shirt and blue overalls. He also has his iconic brown mustache.
- Luigi: Luigi is Mario's slightly taller brother. His abilities are usually the same as Mario's, but in some games Luigi can jump higher. Luigi is usually the sidekick, but was the hero in a few games such as Luigi's Mansion. His appearance is similar to Mario's, but instead wears a green shirt and hat with the letter L.
- Rosalina: Rosalina is a princess from outer space. She first appears in the Mario spin off game Super Mario Galaxy
- Peach: Princess Peach is the Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario often saves her from Bowser in many of the Mario games. However, she may sometimes be the protagonist in the game, such as Super Princess Peach and Super Mario 3D World. She is shown wearing a pink dress and a crown on her head of yellow hair.
- Daisy: Daisy is the Princess of Sarasaland. The first game that she was in was Super Mario Land. She dresses similarly as Peach, she is shown instead with an orange dress and brown hair.
- Yoshi: Yoshi is a dinosaur that Mario rides in some games. He appeared in his own game, Yoshi's Island.
- Toad: Toad is a mushroom-shaped creature who appears in many Mario series games. He is just one of many toads. These creatures first appeared in Super Mario Bros., where they were called Mushroom Retainers.
- Bowser: Bowser is the King of Koopas, a turtle-like monster species. He often kidnaps Princess Peach, and is defeated by Mario.
- Bowser Jr.: An energetic troublemaker who is ready to follow his father's footsteps.
- The Koopalings : Includes Iggy ,Morton Jr.,Lemmy,Ludwig von,Larry ,Roy and Wendy O. Koopa
- Wario: Wario is an evil version of Mario, and is obsessed with money. He is short and fat, and wears yellow.
- Waluigi: Waluigi is Wario's sidekick, and an evil version of Luigi. He is tall and thin, like Luigi, and wears purple.
- Fawful:A Beansish creature with fury
- Foreman Spike: A rival from Mario and Luigi's carpenting days in Brooklyn. He appeared in Wrecking Crew.
- Petey Piranha: A giant Piranha Plant boss in some games
- King Boo:a big king Boo from Luigi's Mansion
- Dry Bowser:The Dry Bones variation of Bowser
- King Bob-omb:The fat king of Bob-ombs
- Kamek:A powerful Magikoopa leader
- Whomp King: The ruler of the whomps from Super Mario 64. He reappeared in Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Goombas are typically coloured brown, featuring two feet and no arms, and are commonly mistaken to be shittake mushrooms.
- Koopa Troopa: Koopa Troopas are turtle-like monsters that often work for Bowser, although in some games, they are friendly. They are playable characters in some Mario sports games, such as Mario Kart.
- Goomba: Goombas are mushroom-like monsters creatures that are the most common enemies in the series. They are easily killed by jumping on their head.
- Paratroopa: The flying version of Koopa Troopa.
- Paragoomba: The flying version of Goomba.
- Boo: These enemies are ghosts that stop moving when you look at them. They show up in most of the Mario titles.
- Piranha Plant:A hungry Venus Flytrap that hides from Warp Pipes
- Dry Bones:A skeleton variation of the Koopa Troopa
- Bullet Bill:A alive bullet
- Bob-omb: A walking wind-up bomb
- Mecha-Koopa:A wind-up turtle
- Cheep Cheep:A red fish
- Chain Chomp:A barking ball-and chain
- Lakitu:A turtle with many jobs
- Spiny:Lakitu's main projectile
- Blooper:A squid
- Buzzy Beetle:A beetle-like creature
- Pokey:A cactus
- Shy Guy:A guy with an unknown mask,chills out at Subcon most of the time
- Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong is a giant ape. He first fought Mario/Jumpman in the Donkey Kong video games, before getting some games of his own as a hero. He appears in many Mario spin-offs, including Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.
- Birdo: One of the bosses in Super Mario Bros. 2. Birdo shows up in many Mario spin-off titles such as Mario Kart Wii and Mario Party 9.
- Diddy Kong: Donkey Kong's smaller sidekick in the Donkey Kong Country series.
- R.O.B.: A robot originally a part of the Nintendo game console. It appears in Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Toadsworth: An elderly Toad that assists Princess Peach.
- Captain Toad: An adventurous Toad that looks for treasure.
- Professor E. Gadd: A mad scientist that helps Luigi in the Luigi's Mansion games,
- Goombario: A friendly Goomba that helps Mario in Paper Mario.
- Goombella: Goombario's sister that also appears in Paper Mario.
- Baby Mario: Mario as a baby. He appears in many Mario spin-offs, including Mario Kart and Mario Tennis.
- Nabbit: A thief rabbit that appears in New Super Mario Bros. U, he appears in Super Smash Bros. as a Cameo.
Images for kids
Toadette as she appears on the cover artwork for Mario Party 8.
Kamek's artwork in Mario Party 9