Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies the principles of Mechanics and Materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools. They can vary from building a rocket ship all the way down to a modern car. It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
The fundamental subjects of mechanical engineering usually include:
- Statics and dynamics
- Strength of materials and solid mechanics
- Instrumentation and measurement
- Thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy conversion, and HVAC
- Combustion, automotive engines, fuels
- Fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics
- Mechanism design (including kinematics and dynamics)
- Manufacturing engineering, technology, or processes
- Hydraulics and pneumatics
- Mathematics - in particular, calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.
- Engineering design
- Product design
- Mechatronics and control theory
- Material Engineering
- Design engineering, Drafting, computer-aided design (CAD) (including solid modeling), and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM)
Mechanical engineers are also expected to understand and be able to apply basic concepts from chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, civil engineering, and electrical engineering. Most mechanical engineering programs include multiple semesters of calculus, as well as advanced mathematical concepts including differential equations, partial differential equations, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and differential geometry, among others.
In addition to the core mechanical engineering curriculum, many mechanical engineering programs offer more specialized programs and classes, such as robotics, transport and logistics, cryogenics, fuel technology, automotive engineering, biomechanics, vibration, optics and others, if a separate department does not exist for these subjects.
Images for kids
Mechanical engineering Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.