Livorno facts for kids
Today, Livorno is known for the fortified town walls and for the small streets. Many foreigners moved to Livorno such as Jews, Armenians, Greeks, Dutch, and English. Some Moriscos (Muslim Spaniards forced to turn Catholic), much later, also moved to Livorno (from Spain and during the 18th century).
The "Monumento dei quattro mori" ("Monument of the Four Turks"), dedicated to Grand Duke Ferdinando I de' Medici of Tuscany, is one of the most important monuments of Livorno.
Another important monument is the old fortress which has 3 bastions called “Capitana”, “Ampolletta” and “Canaviglia”. It was made before the Renaissance.
Politically, Livorno is one of the most left-leaning cities of Italy. The Communist Party of Italy was founded in Livorno on 21 January 1921.
Tuaca liqueur is produced in Livorno. The city also has a petrochemical industry.
Livorno inhabitants speak a Tuscan dialect of Italian, called vernacolo.
- Bat Yam (Israel)
- Guadalajara (Spain)
- Haiphong (Vietnam)
- Novorossiysk (Russia)
- Oakland (United States of America)
Important people from Livorno
- Mario Ancona (1860-1931), opera composer
- Leonetto Cappiello (1875-1942), painter
- Giorgio Caproni (1912-1990), poet
- Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (born 1920), former President of the Republic of Italy
- Piero Ciampi (1934-1980), musician
- Giovanni Fattori (1825-1908), painter
- Voltolino Fontani (1920-1976), painter
- Francesco Domenico Guerrazzi (1804-1873), writer and politician
- Cristiano Lucarelli (born 1975), football player
- Pietro Mascagni (1863-1945), opera composer
- Matteo Mazzantini (born 1976), rugby player
- Amedeo Modigliani (1884-1920), painter and sculptor
- Aldo Montano (born 1978), fencer, Olympic gold medalist
- Alfredo Muller (1869-1940), artist
- Armando Picchi (1935-1971), football player and manager
- Dario Resta (1884-1924), Racecar driver, Indy 500 winner
- Angiolo Tommasi (1858-1923), artist
- Alberto Fremura (born 1936), artist
- Francis Levett English merchant
Images for kids
Livorno Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.