Lycoming County, Pennsylvania facts for kids
|Lycoming County, Pennsylvania|
Location in the state of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 13, 1795|
1,244 sq mi (3,222 km²)
1,229 sq mi (3,183 km²)
15 sq mi (39 km²), 1.2%
95/sq mi (37/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
|Named for: Lycoming Creek|
Lycoming County comprises the Williamsport, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Marcellus shale impact fee
- Images for kids
Formation of the county
Lycoming County was formed from Northumberland County on April 13, 1795. The county was larger than it is today. It took up most of the land that is now north central Pennsylvania. The following counties have been formed from land that was once part of Lycoming County: Armstrong, Bradford, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Indiana, Jefferson, McKean, Potter, Sullivan, Tioga, Venango, Warren, Forest, Elk and Cameron. Lycoming County was originally named Jefferson County in honor of Thomas Jefferson. This name proved to be unsatisfactory. The name change went through several steps. First a change to Lycoming County was rejected, next the name Susquehanna County was struck down as was Muncy County, before the legislature revisited and settled on Lycoming County for Lycoming Creek, the stream that was the center of the pre-Revolutionary border dispute.
1615: The first European in Lycoming County was Étienne Brûlé. He was a voyageur for New France. Brule descended the West Branch Susquehanna River and was held captive by a local Indian tribe near what is now Muncy before escaping and returning to Canada.
1761: The first permanent homes were built in Muncy. Three log cabins were built by Bowyer Brooks, Robert Roberts and James Alexander.
1772: The first gristmill is built on Muncy Creek by John Alward
1786: The first church built in the county was Lycoming Presbyterian church in what was known as Jaysburg and is now the Newberry section of Williamsport.
1795: The first elections for Lycoming County government are held soon after the county was formed from Northumberland County. The elected officers were Samuel Stewart, county sheriff and the first county commissioners were John Hanna, Thomas Forster and James Crawford. Andrew Gregg was elected to represent Lycoming County in the United States Congress, William Hepburn was voted to the Pennsylvania State Senate and Flavel Roan, Hugh White and Robert Martin served as representatives in the Pennsylvania General Assembly.
1823: The county government funded the construction of the first bridges over Loyalsock and Lycoming Creeks.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,244 square miles (3,220 km2), of which 1,229 square miles (3,180 km2) is land and 15 square miles (39 km2) (1.2%) is water. Lycoming County is the largest county in Pennsylvania by land area and second-largest by total area; it is larger than the state of Rhode Island.
Appalachian Mountains and Allegheny Plateau
Lycoming County is divided between the Appalachian Mountains in the south, the dissected Allegheny Plateau (which also appears mountainous) in the north and east, and the valley of the West Branch Susquehanna River between these.
West Branch Susquehanna River
The West Branch of the Susquehanna enters Lycoming County from Clinton County just west of the borough of Jersey Shore, which is on the northwest bank of the river. The river then flows generally east and a little north with some large curves for 15 miles (24 kilometers) to the city of Williamsport, followed by the borough of Montoursville (both on the north bank) as well as the boroughs of Duboistown and South Williamsport (on the south bank).
The river flows just north of Bald Eagle Mountain (one of the northernmost ridges of the Ridge-and-valley Appalachians) through much of its course in Lycoming County, but it passes the end of the mountain and turns south just before the borough of Muncy (on the east bank). It continues south past the borough of Montgomery and leaves Lycoming County, where it forms the border between Union and Northumberland Counties. From there the West Branch merges with the North Branch Susquehanna River at Northumberland, Pennsylvania, and then flows south to the Chesapeake Bay.
Major creeks and watersheds
The major creeks of Lycoming County are all tributaries of the West Branch Susquehanna River. On the north or left bank of the river they are (from west to east): Pine Creek (and its tributary Little Pine Creek) which the river receives just west of Jersey Shore; Larrys Creek, which the river receives about 7 km (4 mi) south of Salladasburg; Lycoming Creek which the river receives in western Williamsport; Loyalsock Creek which the river receives between Williamsport and Montoursville; and Muncy Creek (and its tributary Little Muncy Creek), which the river receives just north of Muncy. Loyalsock and Muncy Creeks are also the major watersheds of Sullivan County.
Finally there is White Deer Hole Creek, the only major creek in Lycoming County on the right bank (i.e. south and west) of the river. It is south of Bald Eagle Mountain, and flows from west to east. The river receives it at the village of Allenwood in Gregg Township in Union County. Other creeks found on the right bank (south and west) of the West Branch Susquehanna River in Lycoming County are relatively minor, including Antes Creek in the Nippenose valley (in Limestone and Nippenose Townships), Mosquito Creek (at Duboistown), Hagermans Run (at South Williamsport), and Black Hole Creek (at Montgomery).
The entire county is in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The percent of the county drained by each creek's watershed is as follows: Pine Creek, 15.27%; Little Pine Creek, 11.25% (if these two are considered together, 26.52%); Larry's Creek, 7.17%; Lycoming Creek, 17.80%; Loyalsock Creek, 13.23%; Muncy Creek, 4.82%; Little Muncy Creek, 5.86% (if these two are considered together, 10.68%); and White Deer Hole Creek, 4.40%. Minor creeks account for the rest.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 120,044 people, 47,003 households, and 31,680 families residing in the county. The population density was 97 people per square mile (38/km²). There were 52,464 housing units at an average density of 42 per square mile (16/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 93.91% White, 4.32% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. 0.67% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 38.5% were of German, 11.7% American, 9.0% Irish, 7.4% Italian and 7.3% English ancestry according to Census 2000.
There are three Pennsylvania state parks in Lycoming County:
- Little Pine State Park
- Susquehanna State Park
- Upper Pine Bottom State Park
There are parts of two Pennsylvania state forests in Lycoming County:
- Tiadaghton State Forest in the southern and western parts of the county,
- Loyalsock State Forest in the eastern part of the county.
- See also: List of municipalities in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania and List of villages in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Under Pennsylvania law, there are four types of incorporated municipalities: cities, boroughs, townships, and, in at most two cases, towns. The following cities, boroughs and townships are located in Lycoming County:
- Williamsport (county seat)
- Cogan House
- Mill Creek
- Muncy Creek
- Old Lycoming
- Plunketts Creek
- Upper Fairfield
Census-designated places are geographical areas designated by the U.S. Census Bureau for the purposes of compiling demographic data. They are not actual jurisdictions under Pennsylvania law. Other unincorporated communities, such as villages, may be listed here as well.
The population ranking of the following table is based on the 2010 census of Lycoming County.
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)|
|12||Rauchtown (mostly in Clinton County)||CDP||726|
Marcellus shale impact fee
Act 13 of 2012, which levied a Marcellus Shale Impact Fee, was signed into law by Governor Tom Corbett on February 14, 2012. The bill provides for the imposition of an unconventional well fee by county (or alternatively municipalities compelling the imposition of an unconventional well fee). A county may impose the fee if unconventional gas wells are located within its borders and it passes an ordinance within 60 days of the effective date of Act 13. A county that did not pass an ordinance imposing a fee is prohibited from receiving funds. This prohibition remains in effect until a county passes an ordinance imposing a fee.
In 2015, Lycoming County received an impact fee disbursement of $3,727,886.78 which was among the top seven counties receiving funds. The top county recipient was Washington County which received $6,512,570.65 in 2014. Cogan House Township received $798,627.10 making it one of the top seven receiving municipalities. Lycoming County had 877 marcellus shale wells. Cummings Township had 248 wells and Cogan House Township had 180 wells.
In 2014, Lycoming County received an impact fee disbursement of $4,822,064 which was among the top seven counties receiving funds. The top county recipient was Washington County which received $6,512,570.65 in 2014. In 2014, there were 873 marcellus shale wells in Lycoming County. Cogan House Township was the top receiving municipality in Lycoming County getting $852,291.25.
- 2013 - 768 shale wells, impact fee revenues to Lycoming County - $5,099521.27
- 2012 - 649 shale wells, impact fee revenues to Lycoming County - $4,375,741.90
- 2011 - 445 shale wells.
Images for kids
Lycoming County, Pennsylvania Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.