1950s facts for kids
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1920s 1930s 1940s – 1950s – 1960s 1970s 1980s|
|Years:||1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture
Establishments – Disestablishments
The 1950s was the decade that started on January 1, 1950, and ended on December 31, 1959.
- 1950–1953 Korean War.
- 1953 – Structure of DNA published by James Watson, Francis Crick and Maurice Wilkins.
- 1953 – Edmund Hillary is the first man on Mount Everest.
- 1954 – Battle of Dien Bien Phu ends France's colonization of Vietnam and leads to division of Vietnam into North and South.
- 1956 – Hungarian Revolution of 1956
- 1956 – Suez Crisis
- 1958 – Treaty of Rome
- 1959 – Fidel Castro becomes the Prime Minister of Cuba.
- 1957 – Sputnik launched.
- Konrad Adenauer, German chancellor
- Chuck Berry, American rock & roll musician
- Fidel Castro, president of Cuba
- René Coty, president of France
- Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of United Kingdom
- James Dean, American actor
- Paul Newman, American actor
- Bo Diddley, American rock & roll musician
- Elizabeth II, British queen since 1952
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the US 1953–1961
- Ludwig Erhard, German chancellor
- Francisco Franco, dictator of Spain
- Charles de Gaulle, president of France
- George VI, British king until 1952
- David Ben-Gurion, prime minister of Israel
- Hirohito, Emperor of Japan
- Alfred Hitchcock, writer
- Pope John XXIII, Pope from 1958
- Nikita Khrushchev, leader of the Soviet Union
- Marilyn Monroe, American actress
- Gamal Abdel Nasser, president of Egypt
- Jawaharlal Nehru, prime minister of India
- Josip Broz Tito, President of Yugoslavia
- Juan Perón, President of Argentina
- Pope Pius XII, Pope until 1958
- Elvis Presley, American singer
- Buddy Holly, American singer
- Joseph Stalin, dictator of the USSR
- Harry S. Truman, President of the US until 1953
- Kim Il-Sung, dictator of North Korea
- Mao Zedong, Chairman of the Communist Party of China
Images for kids
Francis Crick and James Watson discover the spiral structure of DNA
Cary Grant as Roger O. Thornhill in North by Northwest (1959)
Everly Brothers c. 1958
Chuck Berry in 1957
Fats Domino singing Blueberry Hill on The Alan Freed Show c. 1956
Willie Mays, New York Giants centerfielder in 1954
Duke Snider, Brooklyn Dodgers centerfielder, c. 1953
1950s Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.